Timbuktu's Sidi Yahia mosque raided by Extremists

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by BurGroBro, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    You bet I did. lol God No I tried giving my opinion but she just said I was a shallow human being who has no emotions towards other people.
  2. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Africa's problem is the fact that the tropic of capricorn is a really shit place to try to build a civilization and their tribes grew accustomed to living in dry area's far away from rivers and the like so they didn't all die of malaria. Mosquito's thrive in moist environments and malaria in the modern day is one of the number one killers of Africans as they've been put in settlements which let's most of their youth die before the age of 5 thanks to malaria. I'd also like to point out that if you have to live far from the moister parts of your environment like rivers then it becomes incredibly difficult to have proper agriculture, which is NECESSARY for the founding of real cities.

Your 'common American opinion' is useless uninformed drivel. If you think any part of the world is unimportant to world history, your best bet would probably be some abandoned island in the pacific. City states still managed to pop up along the east and west coasts of sub saharan Africa because of trade resources being so valuable , and get this - we traded with them for hundreds of years before colonialism was a twinkle in western europes eye.
  3. Thefatkid Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I am still waiting for your point. I know all this already. In fact all you did was support my argument that Africa isn't important to geopolitics.
  4. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    It was a joke....

@LampRevolt he never said it was unimportant to world history, just today's geopolitics. Or at least a lot of it. Obviously we care about Egypt, Libya, South Africa, etc.

Your teacher actually said that to you? LOL
  5. Melanthropist Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Africa has the 2nd biggest population in the world by continent. It may not be the most important continent to geopolitics, but to say it doesn't have some importance is fucking stupid. A bunch of kids like you guys don't know what's important and not important to world leaders.
    LampRevolt likes this.
  6. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Oh yes they do.
  7. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    All those places are not in the tropic of Capricorn(thus cannot be considered sub saharan africa) and whether or not you care about them is irrelevant to their importance.

Like hell you did. Most of that post was showing you what was blatantly incorrect about your first post you scrub. Huge sections of the world with a lot of people living on them are in fact important and in this globalized economy it effects you whether you think it does or not you ignorant American slob.
  8. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    Yeah because Sierra Leone is totally taken into consideration when the US and Europe are deciding their foreign policy....
  9. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Is that what makes something important ? HAHAHA. Yup there's nothing else Sierra Leone might influence other then American foreign policy.
  10. Thefatkid Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Name one other country Sierra Leone influences that isn't in Africa. The governments of the world don't care what happens there.

HMMMMMMMM.

Yep nobody cares about Africa politically, because they aren't important politically. To the people living in these terrible conditions yes we care what happens to them why do you think you see the commercials to spend a quarter everyday to help someone. I care what happens to the people living there, but not politically.

I NEVER SAID THEY WEREN'T IMPORTANT HISTORICALLY. Where did you prove in any way shape or form that Africa is important politically, economically they are I agree how politically. All you did in the first paragraph was support that Africa is unimportant politically by showing why they can't build a civilization that they could.
  11. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Now the questions is, do the governments not care or do we not care?
  12. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    Zimbabwe is important.
  13. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    If the entire African continent vanished from the earth, I wouldn't care.
  14. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Less mouths to feed.
  15. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    I would be concerned.
    Africa, unlike many places in the world, holds vast reserves of untapped natural resources and land for agricultural purposes.
    You are talking about throwing away what is parhaps the last hope of sustaining population growth.
  16. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Well I do know the DRC have so many resources are unbelievable.
  17. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    And neigh-on untouchable.