Other forums

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kali, Jun 26, 2012.

1. PineappleJoe Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Some sort of social rules would be formed, as they always are. Unenforced rules created by the community.
  2. Kali The World's Best Communist

Message Count:
    That question is highly nonsensical. Why would I want to keep people from coming back and how would there be any less security or sense?
  3. Jingles Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well doesn't that just sound like fun central.
    General Mosh and Imperial1917 like this.
  4. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    I actually messed up that sentance for some reason I added "from".

Let me rephrase

What will keep people coming back If there's no security or sense?

I see mods as security, and sense as organization.

How would you organize the forum?
  5. Kali The World's Best Communist

Message Count:
    I suspect it would be organized by category, forum, sub-forum, topic, and then post.

Rules do not protect users. Nor do they protect the site (in most cases). Rules exist because the administration doesn't like certain behaviors. I say fuck that noise. Free speech is free.
  6. MayorEmanuel Do not weep, for salvation is coming.

Message Count:
    I used to go there about 2-3 years ago, I didn't think it was anything special. It might be worth it to go back though.
  7. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    makes sense, Not my cup of tea, but sounds decent enough.
  8. Jingles Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Kali have you ever administrated a forum before? I'm getting the impression you haven't.
  9. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    He was orginally in a profile on this forums called 'Kalafication'. You can still find many of his posts from that profile around. He was a moderator here. For whatever reason, he abruptly abandoned his post and left the forums, but eventually came back. Stalin decided not to re-promote him.
  10. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    This made me laugh. Not anything against you, but its funny since Kali didn't just administrate any forums, he administrated this one.
  11. Jingles Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I wasn't there, so can't really comment, but the use of the past tense seems to indicate how successful he was.
  12. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    Like I said, he abandoned his post for some reason and Stalin didn't re-promote him when he came back to the forums.
  13. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    He was a good mod. A bit of an asshole, but a good mod. He slammed most of us older members into shape grammar wise. Especially me, I used to use horrible grammar and shit. I went and reread some of my older posts a few days ago, and I nearly cried. Kali also put into place the rule that all posts in the coffeehouse must be at least one sentence. That's why I pushed so hard to get the Science section put into the coffeehouse (which I eventually did), because it subjected people posting there to better posting rules. Unfortunately, the mods have really slacked off recently and are not enforcing that or the double posting rules.

Kali left because he didn't want to "continue his current roll on the website" or something like that, and asked to be banned. He also apparently wanted to end "faction warfare" on the forums, but he really just made it worse. Especially when he came back specifically to prevent Ler from becoming tribune, which he successfully did. He is also at the root of the dismantling of the tribune system and the Happiness and Smiles Act. Goddamn, I feel like I'm telling you about some political subversive rather than a forum member.
    thelistener likes this.
  14. Jingles Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    So... the two good things he did as a mod would be impossible by his own criteria on his own forum. That's actually pretty funny.
    General Mosh likes this.
  15. Kali The World's Best Communist

Message Count:
    I really didn't think we had members who didn't know I was a mod. I've had experience administrating both my own and other people's forums in the past, including this one.

I made exactly one mistake as moderator, and it wasn't mine alone.

As mod I was personally responsible for the passing of the rule transparency act, the Coffeehouse posting guidelines, the creation of the Roleplaying sub-forum, and a few other cosmetic changes. I supported full transparency in the Mod's corner, dismantling the concept of thread ownership, replacing the qualifications for what constitutes a violation of the personal insults rule with what amounts to the standards for defamation, among other things.

As a moderator I acted fairly in judgement and frequently played Devil's Advocate on the part of the accused ,who couldn't effectively contribute to their own defense in that status quo; and it's important to note that this was the status quo back when I was a mod, long before all appeals were wholly dependent upon Stalin's personal feelings towards the accused (this sentence cannot be mended from here).

On top of all that, you people seriously overestimate the capabilities and responsibilities of site staff. It's not that hard.
  16. Starfire787 New Member

Message Count:
    Kali did you enjoy being a mod, and if you did why?
  17. DukeofAwesome Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yeah, Kali was a good mod. The only complaint I have is that when he deleted one of my posts because of it's appalling grammar, he didn't tell me what was wrong with it or even that he did it.
  18. Starfire787 New Member

Message Count:
    It was probably for the best. Kali knows what's best for us all.
  19. Kali The World's Best Communist

Message Count:
    At a certain point, I stopped enjoying it, as I said in the post that covered why I left the position.
  20. ComradeLer Proud Anti-Patriot

Message Count:
    All of the other mods openly hated him, He shared a shit-ton personal data regarding members with his friends, and he generally did an excellent job at causing shitstorms, and making people leave. He left because all of the other mods, and the general userbase had enough of him. Despite what his right-wing fanboi's say about him, he is generally regarded as a terrible moderator, and especially so by the other mods.

(Note: Mayor doesn't count, because he was inactive through all of it).