Mars: One Way Ticket To The Red Planet

Discussion in 'The Political/Current Events Coffee House' started by slydessertfox, Jun 6, 2012.

1. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    You can make a lot of money on commercials if you are broadcasting for the first 10 years beforehand, and all the time afterward. They also secured tons of private donations already as well. Again, read the freaking site. I'd post a link now to the exact spot on the site but I have to go to school.
  2. mattbenz99 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    This wont work as they plan it to work. I have a feeling that it will take multiple attempts to succeed just like it did when the Europeans were colonizing the new world.
    General Mosh likes this.
  3. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    IF this actually goes through, then it will probably be well off of schedule. I'd imagine stuff starts getting sent there years later than it should, and the people well after that. Also, have they chosen a site for the colony yet? Have they considered weather conditions (if there is weather on Mars), or natural obstacles (massive canyons, craters, volcanoes, etc)? And their going to need a ton (literally) of food.
  4. mattbenz99 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    one of the good things about mars is that the weather all things considered isn't that far from earths weather and the temperature can easily be raised using methane to cause a really strong greenhouse affect after that when the planet is warm enough plant life will easily be sustained because the current atmosphere on mars is 90% carbon dioxide and after that you can grow food on mars
    slydessertfox likes this.
  5. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    I believe the rovers land their in 2016 to find a good place to set up a colony, along with the provisions and material needed to start setting it up. Read the timeline.
  6. Warburg Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    There are dust storms which can be detrimental for advanced electronics and solar power.
    General Mosh likes this.
  7. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    Even on the construction of regular buildings the timeline is often well off schedule and disregarded. Do you really think the construction of a Mars colony is going to stick to the timeline? There is something called unforeseen problems....
    mattbenz99 likes this.
  8. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    I think 7 years to build small living quarters for 4 people should be long enough even with an unforeseen problem, as long as said problem doesn't destroy everything.
  9. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    Its on Mars...its not going to be completed by the timeline. I can't think of one human operation that was EVER completed on time. Not even my homework is completed on time :p
  10. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    I still think 7 years is more than enough.
  11. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    No its not. It took longer than 7 years to land on the moon (from the point where it was in planning). So its going to take even longer to not only land on Mars but also build on Mars. I predict here and now this is never going to happen. We haven't landed on Mars yet even. Or built on the moon. So I don't know how delusional you have to be to think we are actually going to land and build a permanent base on Mars in the next decade.
  12. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    I guess we will see who's the delusional one in one decade then.
  13. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    I'm not saying your delusional :p

But the people that created this whole project are delusional and idealistic at best. They will run out of money and probably be responsible for the deaths of whoever gets stranded on Mars once they run out of money to supply them.
  14. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    Ok telling you guys now, the Mexicans will most likely steal all the jobs on mars too.
  15. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    They said the same thing when JFK said he would get a man in the moon by the end of the decade, which was before we even got a man in Space I believe.
  16. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    Yes, but that wasn't as far fetched as this for two reasons. One, the US government, which was one of the most powerful countries on Earth, was making it happen. The US government is a lot more reliable than some corporate gimmick. Two, they weren't going so far ahead of themselves. Someone had already been in space. But this corporation is going two steps ahead. We haven't yet built on the moon, which would obviously be easier than building on Mars, and we haven't yet even landed on Mars. The one good thing I can see coming out of this is that if it works there will be a lot more interest in space, and we will probably have permanent bases and colonies all over Mars and the Moon by the end of my lifetime.
  17. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    I believe another private company (the same one that Mars one is getting its ships from) is planning on making a manned expedition to mars soon. And NASA btw, is planning on using the models that are coming out and being used by this company. Many of this company's members are former (or current) NASA employees.

Since NASA won't do shit anymore, private companies are gonna have to pick up the slack, and I think they can do better than NASA.
  18. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    So? They're still skipping at least two logical steps that would come before a Mars colony! Even if it is completed, it will be billions of dollars over budget and years behind schedule. That's how it always works out. Everything from building a skyscraper to designing military equipment ends up over budget and behind schedule. And NONE of that is nearly as ambitious as this.
    NASA can't do anything because the US government doesn't have enough money. If the US government doesn't have enough money, what makes you think private companies will pick up the slack, much less do better? No, the ones picking up the slack will be Japan and Russia.
  19. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    http://mars-one.com/en/mission/is-this-really-possible

This is why you guys need to read the site.

20. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    Suppliers of what? Would they be OK with sending known criminals into space?
    So no one is ever going home? What if there is a natural disaster? What if there is a man made disaster? Basically what this is explaining is that no matter what none of these people is ever going to come home, regardless of any factors.
    How the hell are they supposed to terraform all by themselves?
    My bad, they can come home. They just have to build the rocket all by themselves....
    Are they aware how expensive they are? Do they know how inefficient they are? How are they sure they will get enough sunlight? What about dust storms and stuff?
    That's a hell of a lot of panels. Well, at least they'll have a ton of power. Where are they going to find the space for all that? (they're obviously going to want it near their facility) Are the solar panels going to be able to survive the temperature changes on Mars?
    Because its totally that easy to clear dust and sand off of 3000 square meters of land...
    What happens if the rover breaks down? What happens if they get lost?
    So would they let terrorists sell them equipment? Or rogue countries? As long as its cheap and efficient!

Ok Sly, this has simply made me more of a skeptic. They don't explain in detail. It sounds good on paper, but then so does communism.