Josef Stalin Declassified

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by slydessertfox, Mar 16, 2012.

1. StephenColbert27 Active Member

Message Count:
    Middle of a Corn Field somewhere in Illinois
    Ah, but she has mod powers.
  2. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    @General Mosh

There was some drought in the area at that time and would you actually study the subject you would not make your self look like an idiot by responding 'LOL'

You should also be informed that majority of gulags were in european Russia, mainly south & around of Moscow.

Also there is a big difference between labor and concentration camps, while Ler is wrong in case of death rate which was not the worst thing on the planet but something I would not call 'low chance'. It is your ignorance that you can't tell the difference.
  3. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Elect? No, I don't think that is a very good plan. If I only look at some of the people that managed to become a Tribune, I tend to question myself how they could have gotten into the mods corner at all. And Stalin would pretty much never suggest such a thing. But the mods have no trouble moderating at the moment.

On the other issue: I think D3adtrap is quite right.
  4. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well if two things about me and D3adtrap are the same, its: we are both Finnish and we don't like to repeat our self's. So I am just going to copy some of my earlier posts.

1." Who exactly was a kulak? Those who had been better of before the revolution or after. What exactly did it mean to exploit other peasants? Lending them money when they were sort in cash? There was six criteria laid down, that any one of which qualified someone as a kulak. You should know these so I won write them down. However these were modified but were still far easy to apply in the field when collectivization began" so basically a lot of people in soviet union must have been awfully wealthy, if " as many as 3.5 million victims of dekulakization died in labor camps."and god knows how many were shot on the spot.

(I wont address your famine points co's me and d3adtrap are already bogged down in it. If I did, this would turn into clusterfuck for me)

2. Gulags. That just disgusting post, you have there. How do you sleep at night? You are like a reincarnation of a German citizen during ww2. A person who knew about concentration camps, but didn't think they were as really that bad, and thought that allies only exaggerated those camps. Shame on you...

(to the point at last ;) )

the authorities in Moscow wanted the camps to be self-supporting sinks that would reduce the country's overcrowded prisons. By the of 1920 solovetsky and other camps had become a growing commercial operation involved in forestry and construction. Gulag was system of colonization enabling the regime to exploit resources in regions considered unhabitable. Precisely because they were expendable.

The key thing in this vast system of slavery was to ensure a sustained flow of new slaves. The alleged spies and saboteurs convicted in show trials like shakhty trial (1928) the industrial party trial (1930) and the metro-vickers trial (1933) were victims of only the most spectacular of innumerable legal and extra legal procedures. By defining the slightest grumple as treason or counter revolution, the Stalinist system was in position to sen whole armies of soviet citizens to the gulag. Files now available in the Russian state archives show how the system worked. Berna Klauda was little old lady from Leningrad; she could scarcely have looked less like a subversive element. In 1937 she was sentenced to ten years in perm gulag for expressing anti-government sentiments. In fact the majority of the people convicted for such offences as: "counter revolutionary action" were guilty- if they were guilty of anything at all- of trivial misdemeanors: a word out of turn to a superior, an overheard joke about Stalin, a complaint about some aspect of the all-pervasive system, list goes on and on. Only a tiny fraction of prisoners were genuinely criminals or opposed to the regime revealingly. By 1937 there were quotas for arrests just as there were quotas for steel production.
    All told, around eighteen million men,women and child passed through the system under Stalin's rule. Taking into account the six or seven million soviet citizens who were sent into exile, the total % of the population who experienced some kind of penal servitude under Stalin approached 15%. (a lot of criminals you got there :rolleyes: )
    the camps were not primarily intended to kill people but they were run in such a way that mortality rates were bound to be very high. Food was inadequate, sanitation rudimentary and shelter barely sufficient. In addition the sadistic punishments meted out by the camp guards ensured a high death toll. There were some real criminals there but mostly thieves (no wonder, famine was going on)

story for you. Among those arrested were 53 members of leningrads society for the deaf and dumb. The charges against this alleged "fascist organization" was that they had conspired with the German secret service to blow up Stalin and other members of the politburo during the revolution day parade. 34 of them were shot, rest were sent to camps. The idea of a society of deaf mutes trying to assassinate the devil incarnate would almost be comic if the fate of these gentle men had not been so cruel.

Another little story for you @ComradeLer.
    December 1926. Three former inmates wrote a desperate letter to the party central committee, protesting against:" the arbitrary use of power and violence that reing at the solovetsky concentration camp.. Its is difficult for human being even to imagine such terror,tyranny, violence and lawlessness. When we went there. We could not conceive of such a horror....As Though it weren't enough that the Unified State Political Directorate [OGPU] without oversight and due process sends workers and peasants there who are by and large innocent
    (we are not talking about criminals who deserve to be punished) the former tsarist penal servitude system in comparison to solovetsky had 99% more humanity, fairness and legality.. People die like flies.., they die a slow and painfull death.
    That the entire weight of this scandalous abuse of power, brute violence, and lawlessness that reign at Solovky and other sections of the OGPU concentration camp is placed on the shoulders of workers and peasants; others, such as
    counterrevolutionaries, profiteers and so on, have full wallets and have set themselves up and live in clover in the Soviet State, while next to them, in the literal meaning of the word, the penniless proletariat dies from hunger, cold, and back-breaking 14-16 hour days under the tyranny and lawlessness of inmates who are the agents and collaborators of the State Political Directorate [GPU].
    If you complain or write anything ("Heaven forbid"), they will frame you for an attempted escape or for something else, and they will shoot you like a dog. They line us up naked and barefoot at 22 degrees below zero and keep us outside for up to an hour. It is difficult to describe all the chaos and terror that is going on in Solovky, and the other sections of the concentrations camp...... One example is the following fact, one of a thousand..... THEY FORCED THE INMATES TO EAT THEIR OWN FECES.

It is possible, that you might think that it is our imagination, but we swear to you all, by everything that is sacred to us, that this is only one small part of the nightmarish truth."

of the 100000 prisoners sent to solovetsky in up to its closure in 1939, more than half died.

Between 1935-1941 there were 20 million arrests and at least 7 million executions.
    In 1937-38 alone the quota (is it just me or did the font chance all of the sudden?)for "enemies of the people" to be executed was set to 356105, though the actual number of those who lost heir lives was more than double that.

edit. @D3adtrap i will get to you in about an hour :D but in the mean time, you are right many camps were in western russia but even more camps were located like solovetsky, in the remotest, coldest regions of USSR
  5. The Evil Major Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yes, I am fucking kidding you. No need to be frustrated.

So onwards we go.
    @ComradeLer Yeah low chance of dying, just about 4,5 million dead, they shot prisoners just to make room for new ones.

Also: Did you know that Stalin made quotas of how many people were to be killed and arrested by the secret police.
    Those numbers are:
    72 950 people to be killed.
    259 450 people to be arrested.

And now for some humour:
  6. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    @thelistener

Very good, I'm actually impressed. The only point I do disagree with is obviously number 2 and that's probably because my comment came out maybe a bit wrong way.

That does not how ever leave you off the hook in question of cause of the famine though.

@The Evil Major

Numbers are correct, but you must note, that they include 'just' executions like ones they have in USA today. That number is total of people executed during Stalins rein and they are not categorized. One must recognize that some of those executed we're legitimate criminals and others victims of Stalins madness.
  7. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    @D3adtrap i will get to your post today at some point, but right now i am stuck watching jefmajor playing DayZ :p
  8. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    You're better off watching DayZ, because you wont change anything. I've studied this through and through, I would recognize Stalin as cause of the famine if there was a reason for it, which there are not. Want to bitch all day how bad of a person Stalin was? Go ahead, chances of me agreeing with you are high, but I won't respond to them as most of it is quite obvious I would assume.
  9. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    1. I think I said in my previous post:"Stalin used collectivisation as a excuse to get rid of kulaks." if you aren't getting the message.

2. They aren't completely connected never meant that, I only meant that the human element in both is the same.

3. History is all about opinions (bit of overstatement in my part). Let us get this over with quickly, example (I did chuckle to that moon statement, nice job) some sources state that Alexander the great was a drunkard some don't, clearly those were and are opinions of historians then and now.

4. Well I think this rebellion thing is our dilemma. Well sure you can argue that they caused the famine. Well they were part of the reason, like you stated. But isn't the regimes fault that they rebelled in the first place, in this instance.
  10. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    @thelistener

Great! Now we're getting some where. Now only issue I have to tackle is 4th one.

Regime is the reason why they rebelled, but you cannot automatically blame the regime for those rebellions. We must consider that they did not rebel for the same reason, there are countless reasons actually. Some rebelled because they fought for whites in civil war and don't like the new regime. Others rebelled, because of nationalism. Anti Bolshevism is one of the reasons and list just keeps going.

Fact of the matter is that would these people not have killed those hundreds of million of animals or burned their crops, there would not have been a famine, that's what it comes down to. Were rebellions justified or not? Does not matter in this conversation, because their rebellions -just or unjust- caused the famine.
  11. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    You still agree that there were more reasons to the famine than those rebellions, right? Like you said.

To the point, yea well you argument is rational and I can't conceive anything new to say, so this seems to go no where.
  12. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    Obviously it is not the only reason, but I consider rebels the main cause of the famine.

Looks like we've reached our conclusion, thanks for being a good sport, unlike me.
    thelistener likes this.
  13. The Evil Major Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Those numbers were quotas Stalin set for the secret police in 1937 (time of the great purge). So I'd say that those were pretty big numbers for executions and arrests for few years.
    And of course I recognize that some of those were normal criminals but I'd say that most were "enemies of the state".
  14. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    That we do not know
  15. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    I thought the Fins hated Russia?
  16. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    Where's a contradiction?
  17. darthdj31 City States Map Director

Message Count:
    Russian Jews were descriminated under the tsars, might as well be under Lenin and Stalin!

It would really suck to be a Russian Jew in the Red Army at risk of being captured by Nazis, come to think of it huh.
  18. SPQR Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    "Truth and Morality is a bourgeois conecpt"

I stopped watching after that
  19. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    Trust me the Jews support the communist during the revolution.
  20. darthdj31 City States Map Director

Message Count:
    Yes, the tsars really were anti-Semites apparently. Causing a wave of Russian immigration to Americana muhaha.