D-Day 68th anniversary.

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by Jack118, Jun 6, 2012.

1. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    Why do people know this event? It is pathetic in every single aspect. Even kill death ratio wise there was much more significant battles.

PS. Moved to history section
  2. Vassilli1942 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I had a feeling if you commented on this thread you were going to say something like that.
  3. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    You should not be surprised, I'm quite cynical when it comes to this though I think it is a fair point in the end. Why the hell do people know this "battle"!?
  4. LeonTrotsky Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well, it was a major turning point on the Western front and rallied the pretty much despondent British military into a military campaign near the British Isles (I mean, I know there was a lot of action in Africa, but the British were not really eager to move their forces from defending the homeland)
    slydessertfox likes this.
  5. Vassilli1942 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    @LeonTrotsky I would just stop now. I'm not sure if you ever talked to him about this, but all that's going to happen is it going to go around in circles.
  6. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    This was not significant in any way, shape or form. There is no reason for it to stand out.

@Vassilli1942
    You go around the circles with me, because people are stubborn and live in their own little bubble they're afraid to come out of.
  7. Shisno Doesn't know who did this

Message Count:
    I agree. I don't understand why Americans celebrate D-Day. We don't celebrate the more important things that occured in WW2, like when the Russians won at Stalingrad, Kursk, and Berlin, or the British and Americans at El Alamein, Sicily, and Italy. D-Day is remembered by the West simply because without it most of Europe would have come to communism, which as we all know was considered bad by the US.
  8. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    D-Day is celebrated because it was the start of central European liberation. Campaign in Italy was so slow it doesn't count, mind you. And of course the kill death ratio isn't monumental, allies made a FUCKING amphibious landing! Casualties are expected to be greater for the attacker. Just like when Germans made landings into south Norway, Norwegian kicked ass even if it was futile for them.

And thank the god, they did land, at least half of Europe was free from tyrannical communism. Too bad eastern Europe had to live under it for so long...

Also if you are a dirty communist reading the above and shaking your head. At least you can respect the notion that countless soviet life's were saved, when Germans had to move forces west to meet the menace in Normandy.

If somebody *looking at you d3adtrap* thinks D-Day shouldn't be remembered, I suggest doing something else to make you look edgy. Because this is just fucking retarded :rolleyes:
  9. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    I'm not saying D-Day should not be remembered I'm saying WHY is it remembered? There were countless more events that deserve to be remembered over this, but they're not.
  10. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    How is it not clear, that its remembered? It was a turning point in the west. Meaning, now the allies got a metaphorically speaking a highway which to march and liberate. If you can name one allied operation (eastern front doesn't count, I think you know why) that had more weight over D-Day in the west, please do. Battle of Britain is celebrated mind you.
  11. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    Like what? Let me guess, they all contain Russian military victories.
  12. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    I would bring up landings in Italy, but whole campaign was even more pathetic. How about German invasion of France? Huge victories by them. Now obviously they are not celebrated, but that none of the battles was even remembered. I mean why is this more well known than liberation of Paris? I would -personally- consider that much more iconic victory for allies.

Yes, though 2nd Battle of Ardens is worth noting.
  13. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Normandy isn't remembered as a ww2 most brilliant strategic and tactical battle, rather as a beginning of iconic campaign, a crusade to liberate Europe. That's why its remembered.

The reasons that we don't celebrate 2nd Battle of Ardens are the same as why Russians don't celebrate operation bagration.. Need I elaborate further?
  14. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    I guess you have a great point, though it makes no sense from a military history point of view.
  15. LeonTrotsky Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    To D3adtrap and Shinso:

You know, usually I'm pretty level headed about posting, but before you speak about the futility of the D-Day landings please recognize that:
    1. Finland was allied with the Nazis during the war. Just because you can't celebrate any major victories over the only notable exterminist power in history does not mean that others cannot commemorate their major victories over the Nazis, even if they were not the most important battles of the war.
    2. Switzerland (From your profile, Shinso, I assume you live there), was neutral during the entire thing, so...
  16. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    What the fuck are you talking about? That has nothing to do with this conversation. Only an idiot is bind to his own country/nationality/what ever.
  17. Vassilli1942 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Whatever D3adtrap, whatever.
  18. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    I'm such a catfish :3
  19. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Shisno's American. You've never heard the join the swiss joke in the intro threads? Kinda like the cult of chives and commies.

Anyway, mind you commies, Stalin was pushing for the allies to open a third front against the Germans.
  20. GeorgykZhukov Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I like how you assume that commies give full credit to the USSR for the end of ww2. I mean, it's not like America takes credit for every single war it is on the winning side of, or anything.
  21. Jack118 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Oh, for fuck's sake....
    Care to be specific?
    Aside from the fact that I'm still alive, none of this surprises me.
    I know there were m-......... listen, I know you're kidding, but that's NOT funny.
  22. JerBear Member

Message Count:
    I wouldn't imagine how the soldiers felt. Takes a lot of courage to face something that could change the course of the war.