Ancient History

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by GeneralofCarthage, Dec 1, 2011.

1. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    [IMG]
  2. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    That doesn't count!

This just occurred to me, but I'm now forced to run for Tribune or become a mod to make my title "Ricosaurus Rex".
  3. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Or you can ask CHelsea to make that your title.
  4. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Hmm...fair enough, I guess. Weren't titles Tribune and Mod only, though?
  5. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Yuri has the title of "Marine Biologist". He's not a tribune or a mod.
  6. The Evil Major Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ok so my statement on this religious conversation here is the following:
    GeneralofCarthage, if I'd say that I was in coma and I had a dream where Napoleon and Michael Jackson would come to me and say that there is no God, would I be more or less credible than you and would my statement be a proof of God's "inexistance"?
    slydessertfox likes this.
  7. battleearl Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    That's true. Mods can give ordinary members titles. No idea who gave Yuri his title...
  8. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    Stalin did.
  9. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ah, I never noticed.
  10. battleearl Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ah! Thanks!
  11. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Makes me smirk when I think how easy it was to please the roman people. I wonder who much has chanced....i Just listened Stalin's interview of Dan carlin and Dan made a good point.(something along these lines) " its truly amazing that you and me are discussing politics when 400 years ago only the elite were discussing these thing, co's they had education,time etc. We would live in shacks and try to get our food etc no time to think about politics and we wouldn't care... But who many care these days Spencer? Truly the political active folk who read and study about politics are the minority in every country. Around 5 % Max. Majority worry about the next football game or going to friends house. So is our time so different" so one could argue we have only a bigger ELITE nowadays and the rest are "sheep" like they were 2000 years ago :D

good example is this KONY 2012 where majority of the people get this feeling of getting to together doing good etc... And the majority of the people have no idea that the organization supports ugandan military that has also raped and murdered. Making them as bad as Konys folk. And also the founder of this makes a lot of money, but they don't care. The video is convincing to the majority. Makes you wonder.. (that's my rant usually I don't post them. I just write them down and then delete, clears your mind and stuff when you write :p ) (and yes I would like to see kony face justice but the movement his just doddering and the some ideas are hideous also they haven't thought this through..Maybe they trust that the government will think for them...)
  12. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    If you get the government to believe that the people truly want this guy gone and want them to do something about it, then they eventually will if you persist enough. If you can take down Kony this way, you can take down anybody this way.
  13. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    yeah true but there's many problems to that too. like masterfully @sirdust said:"1. i support that every suspected war-criminal on the list of the icc is brought to justice, no exceptions

2. sending military advisors to the uganda army, which is the former national resistance army (btw supported by ghadaffi) which was formed out of a merge of the PRA and the UFF (see how complicated it gets allready?), is not a really good idea. It has significant blood on it's hand.

3. This is one of the most chaotic, violent and complicated places on earth. Kongo is in a state of civil war for decades. It is worse then Somalia! There are atleast 10-20 warloards almost equaly as bad as joseph kony. Sad but reality. What comes if he gets killed/arrested? Sure the world got rid of one evil person, but at the overal situation it will not change anything. Don't get me wrong i support this movement, but it will not change anything in the region.

4. Catching kony: As i understand the situation Kony is in kongo, so training uganda forces will help squad. Kony is a master(for african standars) of guerilla and jungle warfare. it would take years to train the UPDF to be able to mount a viable offensive against him. Also him being in kongo kind of makes it useless.
    Sending in special forces alone: Bad idea! While i don't doubt the ability of the Deltas,KSK ,Seals or even speznaz to in theory find (with help of cia,fsb etc) and eliminate the warcriminal, i can only warn of sending westerners in the most dangerous place on earth. Even hard ass special ops soldiers will hesitate if a child soldier stands before them. It is a situation, that is one of the most feared of any soldier in any war.

5. Large scale intervention. In my honest opinion it is long overdue that the un sends forces to central africa. To atleast secure large safe zones. African blue helmet corps should be stationed and financed. Then send some smaller forces in from the us or europe to launch spec ops into teritory of kony. As for the jungle guerilla forces, aside from safe zones, there can not really be done anything against them. Aside from waging a giant war against them. But that will not happen. The West doesn't care enough about africans for that. Sad but true"
  14. Commissar New Member

Message Count:
    Maybe when he says to some kid that there in his army now they'll say 'fuck you' and shot him
    Unlikely but there's always a chance
  15. GeneralofCarthage Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Look and see that many others have said that.
  16. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I'm sure I can find a group of lucid dreamers who can come up with both your dream and his.
  17. GeneralofCarthage Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I was just stating that almost everyone else had said the exact same thing but in a different way.
  18. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Oh, wait, of course, I misunderstood. Still, lucid dreaming is awesome, especially after I watched Inception yesterday.
  19. GeneralofCarthage Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    True.

WE NEED TO REVIVE THIS THREAD!!!
  20. EmperorVasari Member

Message Count:
    Underground bunker in some mountain region.
    How about the Byzantine huh? We need to shine some light on Constantine and his effort to SPREAD a heathen religion at the time.