The Multiverse Theory

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by C_G, May 23, 2011.

1. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I am sure that most of you know what this theory consists of. Not to mention that it is fairly straight forward - it states that are universe is one of many. Recently, however, I have been thinking about it. If we are one among many universes than doesn't that mean that one inevitable day in the far off future our own, beloved, universe will one day collide with another universe.

What could these consequences be? Will it allow us a chance to catch a glimpse outside our own universe? And the thing that fascinates me most, what is it like outside our universe? We should be able to safely assume that the laws with which our universe runs by would be effectively defunct outside of our universe and that other universes would have their own set of laws. I find it very intuging so if anyone has the intelligence to be able to answer my three questions please do so.
  2. Te3hM@nW!thT3h Pl@N New Member

Message Count:
    I always thought of that theory like roots of a tree. First you have the base of the tree, then the roots continuously branch off forever and ever. That's how i thought of it, not that universes are things. But more like timelines that can branch off at any point, and in my theory they can collide as well. That is where the law of averages comes in.
  3. Big J Well-Known Member

Message Count:
  4. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    I've always thought the multiverse theory was bullshit.
  5. Saito Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    It requires way too much faith for us atheists, doesn't it? :D
  6. pants Active Member

Message Count:
    The universes would most likely not 'collide'. Given that there are many, they exist separately within their own space-time 'bubbles', such that they cant move into another one as there are no movement dimensions existing outside the universes in our sense of the term.

I think that many if not infinite universes is entirely plausible within the whole metaphysics game plan, however, it doesn't make much of a difference as we are concerned as we cant perceive outside ours anyway.
  7. UnholyKnight800 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I believe in the multi-verses but contact between them would be very difficult.
  8. Artismoke Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Be cool if there were other universeses. How we can know is a bit difficult though.

[IMG]
  9. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Been proven.
  10. pants Active Member

Message Count:
    Not proven, just a well thought out theory.
  11. Saito Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    hahahaha proven, just like the fact that the earth is flat. Hello Copernicus!
    Edit: I fail. Hello Aristotle/Ptolemy?
  12. pants Active Member

Message Count:
    What has Copernicus got to do with a flat earth, the Greeks knew it was round...
  13. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    hahahaha proven, just like the fact that the earth is flat. Hello Copernicus!
    Edit: I fail. Hello Aristotle/Ptolemy?[/quote:102xqq4k]

No, it has been more or less proven correct. And it was the ancient Greeks who realised the Earth was round because they could see ships dissapear on the horizon. Copernius was way after the ancient Greeks and he provided a model for the sun centred solar system. Ptolomy was the one who invented a very very complicated system for the Earth centred system.
  14. pants Active Member

Message Count:
    An ancient Greek Eratosthenes calculated the diameter of the earth within an error of 2-16 % (depending on which measurement of the stade we use).

Anyway the adapted Ptolemy system was actually more accurate than Copernicus' model and given that earth round the sun, or sun round the earth is all a matter of perspective (imagine standing on a boat that leaves the shore, from one view the shore leaves the boat and from another the boat leaves the shore, think reference points). The argument between Ptolemaic and Copernican systems was not a simple: hurr durr we go round the sun.
  15. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    I am a firm believer in this multi universe theory. If u think about it, how can this be the ONLY universe? It doesn not seem...i dont know the word for it.....right I guess. I dont see how this could be the only universe. Just like how we can not be the only living beings in our universe. It just doesnt seem right to believe there is only one universe and one planet with life on it
  16. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    You might as well believe in hob goblins
  17. Achtung Kommunisten! Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Birmingham, United Kingdom, European Union
    Maybe, but I quite like the theory, if only because it featured in Futurama, Red Dwarf, Doctor Who and probably every other sci-fi universe i've ever liked :)
  18. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Meh, it's plausable. Of course, if that's true then there could be infinate Universes that are different in that the Cold War destroys the world, go there with some anti-radiation tech, I'd assume there would be such given we're jumping between UNIVERSES here, and take over the resources. Solve any resource problems we could have. =D
  19. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Another thing i was wondering about is what if there are an infinite number of universes. According to that, every conceivable position of our own planet has been played out an infinite amount of times and more importantly will be played at an infinite amount of times. Meaning that everything I am typing right now has been typed by an infinite amount of people an infinite amount of times. So, couldn't that mean that if by some kind of fluke we might be able to "reach" into these other universes and observe what may happen?

On a side note, perhaps that it what "seers" such as Nostradamus used to predict what will happen, although I don't really believe so. It is just something that popped into my head.

And for the atheists; Richard "twatface" Dawkins and Carl Sagan claim that it may conceivable.
  20. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    This is what makes the theory of wormholes extremely plausible as well as time travel because if there are multiple dimensions and universe, time travel is not so far fetched as we may think it is. And does anybody no y stephen hawking cant actually speak?