The greatest Military ever in History?

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by SovietEmpireUSSR, Mar 18, 2011.

1. SovietEmpireUSSR Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Who do you think had the greatest Military in History? You can choose from anytime to Ancient Rome to now'll days.

For me the Roman Empire. Lead through many triumphs, and had great exceptional leaders. They defiantly deserve to go down as one of the greatest Military powers in History.
  2. Pharaoh Roman New Member

Message Count:
    Powerful Military of the world today?

We're speaking in very broad aspects here. There are multiple reasons to name an army number one. The moral of the army, the best weapons in the world mean nothing if you don't want to use them, The numbers and funding, historically speaking, numbers and funds are what let militaries win, and then of course the adaptability of the military, what good is an outdated military? there are other categories as well, but I'll only highlight these for the sake of time.

The military with the most zeal I would say is North Korea. These men know nothing more than the fact that their leader is a god, and his orders are to be obeyed without question.

The military with the numerical and funding advantage would definitely go to the United States. We spent 900 billion USD on just the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in 2008, that's not including the reserves and retired. Plus, we have such a massive population of people, not putting any other countries down, but America has a HUGE number of people who just want to fight.

finally, the military with the best adaptability would go to the Russians in my opinion. If you look at the course of the modern Russian military (including soviet) you will see that everytime the United States developed a new technology the soviets would very quickly create something that either mimics it, or is designed to counter it.
  3. SovietEmpireUSSR Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I think leadership is a very important aspect of having a great Military. If you've got your self an intelligent Military masterminds in your army, than you might be on your way to victory. Also for me, having a massive army doesn't make you the best in the world. I'm going to be honest now, but Germany nearly beat the Soviet Union, and the Red Army was known for it's quantity. This was another sort of scenario that happened during the Korea War with China and America. China had the numbers, but America had the organisation and quality to hold off the Chinese Horde, so for me quantity, and sometimes quality doesn't win you a war.

Having a massive army could affected your enemy, psychologically because the enemy could picture in there head that they might get overwhelmed very quickly. I think having Quality and Quantity in your military would be unstoppable, and that could possibly lead the greatest military ever.
  4. yuri2045 A Marines Biologist

Message Count:
    This is a hard question, but for me it would either have to be the ancient roman legions or the french forces under napoleon.

I'll start with the romans, because they had the most disciplined army of their time, plus superior equipment made them conquer all of the mediterranean, they had a lot of great leaders and withstood lots of "barbarian" invasions, really if weren't for their superior military, rome would have never existed.
    Then we have the french, nothing so superior about their technology, but the people's will to fight combined with the man who I think was the best general ever, won then so many victories, until they reached russia.
  5. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    Anchient: Rome & Huns. Both controlled huge territories and had excelent tactics to win the battle

Medieval: Not interested so I dare not to mention anyone

Gunpowder: France (Napoleon) England (Navy)

Industrial: (France) & Germany

Cold war: USSR (Supreme to USA up to mid 70's) & USA

Modern day: USA (Obiesly)
  6. SovietEmpireUSSR Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    That's a good way of looking at it. Taking era's step by step on who is the greatest military in that era.
  7. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Nice way to look at it
  8. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Nice, I might suggest you put the Mongols for Midieval though.
  9. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    I agree about the Mongols. They would be my vote for greatest military force in history.
  10. NateAwesome Active Member

Message Count:
    Ancient: Roman Empire

Medieval: Mongols

Industrial: Germany, France

Modern: USA, China o.o
  11. BRC98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ancient: Roman Empire, because thats all there really was on superpowers.

Medieval: Mongols and the Chinese.
    Mongolia it is quite simple, he conquered a majority of the whole world that was never seen and has since not to be seen. The Chinese has the most advanced before and after Mongolia fell to their knees.

Industrial: United Kingdom (No doubt...greatest naval force ever- also the greatest land force of the time)

In all time? China had to be the top. Little known fact was that their naval force was far more advanced and large then the whole world and their army was using far futuristic when the Europeans were fighting as clans in the dark ages of Europe and the old age Europe.
  12. Ivan IV Vasilyevich New Member

Message Count:
    the united states, we have miltary bases everywhere and anywhere. and we never leave ever.

However it wont last too long. :lol:
  13. Kator Viridian New Member

Message Count:
    tbh what ever you say to be the "best" is only going to be a matter of opinion rather than fact, on times the french have beaten the Germans even though loosing out in WWII.

The roman empire ... crushed by a nomadic tribe that wasn't even looking for a fight.

The British empire ... forced to hand over its countries rules after WWI and WWII ... only because it had to.

The US today still threatened to not react to a country about 5 times smaller than itself (Egypt).

A Military force means nothing if it can be toppled by the smallest of measures, what you guys are basing your facts on are opinions ... what YOU 'think' are the best military forces of their time even though they have never actually fought against the others ... for all we know madagascar could of beaten the British in a naval fight ... we just don't know because they never had a chance to actually fight one another.

So I'd personally pick a broarder range of countries than just one.
  14. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    Valid point, yet not fool proof. Considering that we have historical facts to look at and see what diferent nations did. And we can drav fairly good pichture out of this info we have.
  15. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Although we still don't exactly know if certain people could've beaten others and certain times.

For instance, it is possible that the Mongals could've been beaten by the Holy Roman Empire. Although I still would never argue that the Holy Roman Empire was a greater force than the Mongals, simply that they had a realistic shot at beating them.
  16. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:

We can speculate by taking into account facts we know like tactics, strenght, euipment, leadreship etc. Then we can start processing multiple scenarios in our mind and who ever come up on top most is more powerfull than the other. This is though very limited for it is human mind, program of some sort would be ideal

(Irelavent, but you get the point)
  17. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    That's a very nice way to put what I said.
  18. xXxLKxXx Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ancient: Rome/Macedon/Mongolia

Medieval: Ottoman Empire

Gunpowder: France or Austria

Industrial: Germany

Cold war: USSR

Modern day: USA and/or China
    FascistPatriot likes this.
  19. LibertyShoe New Member

Message Count:
    The Wehrmacht, prohibitively so though, I can just imagine that the German people would have got rather sick of funding that beast after a few years if they did not loose the war.
  20. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Given they were looting every place in Europe they may have been able to afford it for a while.

Not to mention Hitler never would've stopped expanding. He planned to go to the Middle East after taking the USSR and then on to India. Although he probably would've had the same problem Alexander the Great would've had. It's hard to govern people on the other wide of the world, especially when they don't want you there.