Problem being agnostic

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by dylan522p, Apr 18, 2011.

1. dylan522p New Member

Message Count:
    Well i have a problem being agnostic because i hate not knowing. It would be much better if someone could pull me into being a atheist or believing in a god. The basic reason i dont believe in a god is because i dont think an all powerful/all knowing god is possible. God can be all powerful because of this simple thing my atheist friend says "Can god make a burrito thats so spicy even he cant eat it?" And he (For some reason i refereed to god as a dude watevs) cant be All knowing because he wouldnt have created the world. I cant think of any reason to why he would do so. If its to test us or something it dosnt matter because he knows whats gonna happen to us. If its for the fun of watching suffering, god would just use his all powerfulness to stimulate fun for himself. On the flip side I cant do to atheistic because what made the big bang. What made the universe? SOMEONE HELP ME
  2. RoyalAnarchist New Member

Message Count:
    I would advocate being religious since I am so myself. I believe God because of his unique nature is beyond certain actions such as lifting and eating.
  3. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    If you hate being Agnostic either read the Bible or read a few Science books.
  4. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    God could do that because he could make himself weak to the spice if he wanted to. xD
  5. CorB New Member

Message Count:
    If you're an agnostic that's supposed to mean that you believe the truth about a god's existence is unknowable.
  6. Achtung Kommunisten! Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Birmingham, United Kingdom, European Union
    Being an agnostic myself (someone who believes atheism and religion are inconclusive, rather than someone who is merely undecided), I can't really help you. As far i'm concerned, we can't prove it either way, and as much as you hate not knowing, we all have to live with that. Even the most staunch religious people or athiests have to believe, rather than know for sure
  7. Marx'sGeneral Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Grenada, Mississippi; The festering rathole of Ame
    To be perfectly honest, we're all agnostic. Neither the religious nor the atheists like myself have any concrete proof that proves/falsifies the existence of god. We simply don't know. I'm an atheist because there is no substantial scientific proof in favor of any religion, nor is there any scientific proof that has been presented in favor for the existence of god. Atheism/theism are about belief, agnosticism/gnosticism are about knowledge. If you don't believe in any supernatural deity, then you're atheist, if you do, your a theist. Hell, I know theists who believe in god but hold no faith in any religious dogma (Deists) and atheists who are religious (Theravada Buddhists).
  8. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    It is my personal belief that God exists and is all powerful/knowing and that he created everything. No-one really has for sure answers about why/how God did certain things or hard proof that he does or doesn't exist. For a religious person you just have to have faith in it, because no-one will KNOW until we are dead. Then you'll know or be, well dead. xD
  9. CorB New Member

Message Count:
    That’s not really a good argument because you still have that exact same problem with theism, because I can just as easily ask the question: What made god?

I believe the most rational position on god’s existence is agnostic atheism. Agnosticism, because I don’t claim to know the truth, yet atheism, because I don’t see sufficient evidence indicating that a god exists, therefore I lack a belief in one.
  10. dylan522p New Member

Message Count:
    I could also argue then what made the universe, not sufficent enough evidence to prove there isnt a god therefore he is real

but then he would not be powerful to spiceinest
  11. CorB New Member

Message Count:
    The burden of proof is on the ones making the claim. Theists claim that a god exists, therefore they are responsible for proving that. Agnostic atheists are not making the claim that a god doesn’t exist we merely lack the belief until theists can provide sufficient evidence.
  12. dylan522p New Member

Message Count:
    Oh... thank you for explaining
  13. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:
    Doubt is present in everyone. I am a religious person but I still have doubts.
  14. SPARTAN_KING1178 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I'd rather have a religion just to be safe my friend, because you might just regret it if you dont.
  15. CorB New Member

Message Count:
    Pascal's Wager...

[yt:1fev274a]DBW2BvX4xkA[/yt:1fev274a]
  16. dylan522p New Member

Message Count:

the guys joking btw
  17. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    I don't concern myself with agnosticism, there's not much point to it.

You can't prove unfalsifiable claims so you might as well just ignore them. If I'm gonna call myself agnostic toward god, I'd have to call myself agnostic toward any other unfalsifiable entities, like unicorns, Santa Claus and invisible leprechauns who smell my mother's underwear but only when nobody is not looking, which would be retarded.
    No offence but I see agnostics as a bunch of hipsters saying "well you don't know if Ronald Reagan secretly was a raygun wielding alien sent here to destroy our economy" instead of using the more reasonable standard which is: beyond a shadow of a doubt, that isn't true.
    In that sense I am not an agnostic.
  18. MayorEmanuel Do not weep, for salvation is coming.

Message Count:
    Agnostics are just athiests without balls. My advice to just toi grow a pair and say god does't exist. but if you want to be safe do good deeds, if he is as just and loving as everyone says he is he'll forgive you- or not in which case he shouldn't be a god of yours.
  19. Saito Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    This.^

Also, I love you Corb. Your my bestest friend...est.

Also, read my sig, agnostic fellow. Perhaps you will be enlightened, or perhaps not.
  20. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:
    There is the possibility of a unicorn-like mutation in horses. I thin agnostics accept the probability of "could" and shape themselves around it.