ME 2: destroying collector base is retarded.

Discussion in 'Games' started by MrUnclepeanuts, Jun 12, 2011.

1. MrUnclepeanuts Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I really question the logic in the last decision you make on the suicide mission how exactly is keeping the Collector base a bad thing? If anything destroying the Collector base must be the most stupidest thing you could ever do, for those who disagree let me explain,

1. An Armada of huge Dreadnaughts that can shoot laser beams out their tentacles, and can destroy an entire planet by having sex with it(If you don't know what I mean look back at Eden Prime when Sovereign put himself on the planets surface and destroyed a good piece of it) are coming back to destroy all Organic life. Needless to say having the collectors tech will help greatly.

2. We all saw what Sovereign could do and he's just ONE reaper, If ONE reaper could destroy the whole Alien fleet imagine what 100s upon 1000s could do.

3. Using the current tech the galaxy has now would barely phase the Reapers, the only thing we have that can do real damage without the Collector base are thanix cannons, and we have no idea what effect those have on the reapers.

4. The only reason the Human fleet managed to destroy Sovereign was because they had the advantage, Sovereign just got done destroying an entire fleet already and they caught him by suprise, more Reapers are coming expecting ressistance.

This is why I extremely hate being Paragon.
  2. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Your probably right, I mean, judging by the ME3 trailers Earth is totally boned. Unless they got some big tech advancement, like the Collectors, there would be little other organic life could do aswell. So it would just be a wipe out of all Human Life, and then a divide and conquer for the rest of organic life.
  3. UnholyKnight800 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    It just makes it that more awesome when I win without it foo :lol:
  4. Big J Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Earth would still fall. Earth wouldn't get the Collector tech, Cerberus would.
  5. pottman Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The Illusive Man could be a Reaper agent(weird eyes), so yeah, Earth will be fucked no matter what. Plus, Collector tech comes from Reaper tech, don't you think the Reapers are immune to tech like that?
  6. Kalalification Guest

The only thing we need to remember here is that Martin Sheen is a badass so you should do what he says, corrupted or not.
  7. UnholyKnight800 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I question your theories mate :ugeek:
  8. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ya but we'd be less boned ruled by Cerberus than if we were boned getting completly destroyed by Reapers.
    You mean like how Humans are immune to bullets and poisinous gas?
    Sure the Reapers will have means of defence, but it'll still deal a sizeable amount of damange to the Reapers. Not to mention, given how arrogent they are, I doubt they're the most prepared in the world. It seems more like they'll try with a full on blitz so if they lose they lose everything.
  9. Big J Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I think they would be prepared to have their own tech used against them, considering they would know about you keeping the tech. The Reapers CREATED the Collectors and I'm pretty sure they could defend themselves against their own tech. The Thanix cannons proved to be a better weapon than what the Collectors had anyway, not to mention that you adapted your own armor to be much more resistant to the Collector's beams. Not to mention that giving Cerberus the Collector tech would create a short-term solution(a way to possibly fight the Reapers more effectively), but a long-term problem(Cerberus would be a much deadlier threat and would disrupt the new galactic unity after the defeat of the Reapers).
  10. AnthonyDraft New Member

Message Count:
    That's just a lake size of melted ground you were talking there.
    No, that ONE Reaper merely ignored that fleet just to get inside the Citadel and open the Relay for other Reapers. Geth armada did the most work in that fight. Besides....that flee was only the part of what aliens had. Part of them were guarding the relays connecting the Citadel. Yeah that's stupid, but you can blame Council for that.
    I can pretty much agree on this....., but then again there must be some weakness, with or without Collector/Reaper tech that can be exploited in a very big turn around against the Reaper fleet. Also, Reapers are spread out right now(pretty much when ME3 starts), and they do not control the Citadel atm as much as I can tell from what was shown at E3. So if there is a giant fleet, with an appropriate tech at their disposal, they could just destroy smaller groups of them. Just pick one by one.
    No and no. Do you really think Sovereign didn't expect resistance when he would try to get to the Citadel? Why do you think it convinced Geth to help it do stuff for it? Why do you think it indoctrinated the best Spectre out there?(now maybe that was just a coincidence but who knows).
    My point is, no, Sovereign definitely expected resistance.
    As for catching it by surprise. No, humans only won because they had superior fire power, and Sovereign was too stubborn to open the Citadel Relay.
    And Paragons get more credit for that :p

About destroying Colletor base......while it can be used against the Reapers, just think who do you give it to. The man you don't even trust at all. The Illusive Man is that kind of person who will try take the best option for available, and if he is indoctrinated by the Reapers, then that's your fault on making that decision. Still we don't know whether TIM is indoctrinated or not, but we know that some Cerberus cells might be or even are.
    All in all, that is the decision that will be impacted and we will see how it plays out in ME3 .
  11. UnholyKnight800 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I can pretty much agree on this....., but then again there must be some weakness, with or without Collector/Reaper tech that can be exploited in a very big turn around against the Reaper fleet. Also, Reapers are spread out right now(pretty much when ME3 starts), and they do not control the Citadel atm as much as I can tell from what was shown at E3. So if there is a giant fleet, with an appropriate tech at their disposal, they could just destroy smaller groups of them. Just pick one by one.
    No and no. Do you really think Sovereign didn't expect resistance when he would try to get to the Citadel? Why do you think it convinced Geth to help it do stuff for it? Why do you think it indoctrinated the best Spectre out there?(now maybe that was just a coincidence but who knows).
    As for catching it by surprise. No, humans only won because they had superior fire power, and Sovereign was too stubborn to open the Citadel Relay.

About destroying Colletor base......while it can be used against the Reapers, just think who do you give it to. The man you don't even trust at all. The Illusive Man is that kind of person who will try take the best option for available, and if he is indoctrinated by the Reapers, then that's your fault on making that decision. Still we don't know whether TIM is indoctrinated or not, but we know that some Cerberus cells might be or even are.
    All in all, that is the decision that will be impacted and we will see how it plays out in ME3 .[/quote:21yfyeq7]
    This ^
  12. Eridian Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    In case you aren't watching enough spoiler-ific videos about ME3, you wouldn't know that:
    [spoiler:3pbojujf]Cerberus is actually a bunch of douches that back stab you, irrelevant of whether or not you save their loot, probably just using you to get that gear and further their own perposes! If I recall correctly, it said that Cerberus sides with the Reapers, likely for the same reasons Sarin did. The Illusive man always did look like bad news, those eyes didn't look right.[/spoiler:3pbojujf]
    Anyways, when I pick up a copy of ME1/2 (finally) during the the inevitable pre-order Steam sale, I'll blow up that station for sure.
  13. ternaryreaper Member

Message Count:
    There is a high possibility that anyone that would go inside the collector base for a prolonged period of time would get indoctrinated. Also you have a few months to analyze the tech that's not enough time to actually apply it.
  14. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Minor Spoiler Alert!
    [spoiler:3hhuhdxr]You see though, even if Cerberus backstabs you, at least the tech for the station would still be there to find. Your not much more screwed with the Illusive Man and the Reapers than just the Reapers. Not to mention that the Illusive Man is an oppertunistic bussiness man. It's not in his best intrest to have Organic Life(or at least the Humans) destroyed. It's in his best intrest to save it and maintain the humans as the dominate lifeform in the Galaxy.[/spoiler:3hhuhdxr]
    That's actually highly possible. But if you deticted enough resources you'd probably be able to at least skim the top off in the little time before ME3 starts.
  15. JJ12354 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    We don't know how that plays out, so I'm sticking by my Paragade (mix of paragon and renegade, I'm mostly paragon though) decision to save it. I'm guessing there's going to be some curveball in the story that actually makes keeping the base the right decision despite [spoiler:32p21wxy]Cerberus backstabbing you.[/spoiler:32p21wxy]
  16. MrUnclepeanuts Well-Known Member

Message Count:

All in all, that is the decision that will be impacted and we will see how it plays out in ME3 .[/quote:1wyoewr7]

Cerberus is an Organisation that you hate but at the same time love, I applaud Bioware for making such an mysterious and Secretive Organisation, as for TIM, he is the prime example of when a person believes that the ends justify the means, I too believe the ends justify the means therefore approve his methods and therefore have no reason to mistrust him the only time he lied to us was with that supposedly deactivated Collector ship but it was necassary, without it we couldn't acquire the IFF and we would of went into the Omega 4 Relay most likely dying.

The only unacceptable things people hear about Cerberus are from splinter groups, Cerberus is not responsible for actions of people who seperated from them(like the ones who raised Jack on Pragia), that would be like casting blame on every Muslim for 9/11 when really a small group of Muslims commited the terrorist act.

Even in ME3 the Illusive Man supports you which is shocking especially if you were on the Paragon Route in ME2, Bioware confirmed in an interview that "Cerberus is after you not the Illusive man". As for the Earth being screwed either way I know people don't like to admit it but every RPG even ME has a canon, canon ME is Paragon Shepard(which is unforunate to me considering in my opinion the Renegade path is much better), if one was Paragon at the end of the Collector base they would destroy it, which would explain why Earth looks so screwed in the ME 3 trailer, considering Shepard was really Paragon in the story he destroyed the Collector base which the result from the trailer= Earth is screwed. Bioware gave no hints to what the Galaxy is like in ME3 when Shepard is Renegade, we've only seen little snippets and teasers to what it's like when Shepard is Paragon. We'll only know for sure when the game comes out and we play it(which I hope is soon).
  17. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    By the way, this may be on a completely unrelated note, but is there any big mention of Cerberus or have I just missed every reference? I mean, I had this when I watched Stalin's LPs, and again when I played through the game myself, and both times I found myself thinking "Who are these Cerberus people anyway? I don't remember anything of them from the first game, so why does everyone hate them so much?". I might've just forgotten, but I really can't remember any references in ME1.

Anyway, does Cerberus have a fleet of its own? Because if they don't, it wouldn't matter too much if you saved the Collector base or not. Cerberus has nothing to do with the Alliance, nor with the fleets that defended the Citadel in ME1, and because they wouldn't trust or believe Cerberus, they wouldn't benefit from any technological advances salvaged from the Collector base.
  18. Big J Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Again, I must point out that Earth would be screwed no matter what. Earth wouldn't get the Collector tech, Cerberus would. I would also like to ask what would happen if you defeat the Reapers. You now have a very war-torn galaxy with a flimsy unity. Cerberus now supposedly has the most advanced tech in the galaxy and are probably getting waves of new human recruits. Cerberus would kill the peace.

@UnitRico: Cerberus were involved in a few of the side missions in ME1.
  19. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well, both depend on the Illusive Man speaking the truth. In ME2, he keeps telling Shepard that his agenda is for humanity to be strong. Then why would Earth be screwed? If the Illusive Man tells the truth, he'd do everything to stop the Reapers from destroying Earth, and if or when you win, he'd do everything to make humanity even stronger, which would probably be affected by what you did to the Council in ME1 (at least, that what I'd think)

Ah, thanks, must've missed them then.
  20. MrUnclepeanuts Well-Known Member

Message Count:

'Strength for Cerberus is strength for Humanity' -The Illusive Man