Julius Caesar, greatest historical figure of all time?

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by JosefVStalin, Apr 15, 2011.

1. JosefVStalin El Presidente

Message Count:
    So I was listening to Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History, and in his latest episode he said that Julius Caesar was possibly the greatest historical figure of all time. I was taken aback by that, mainly because I obviously don’t think he is the greatest historical figure of all time. I personally think that while Caesar was a total bad ass and genius statesman, the Republic was on its way out anyway and if he hadn’t existed someone else would have eventually become an emperor, so I think his historical significance is slightly overrated.
  2. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    I agree that Julius Caesar was not the greatest historical figure of all time, although he is pretty high up there.
  3. egyptianplanet Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Pompei and Crassus both wanted a crack at being emperor. One died and the other lost so Caesar won out. The reason why I can see why Caesar is a great historical figure is out of the three, Caesar was least likely to make it out of them. While one gloriously built Greece and made friends in Rome, and the other went out to conquer the rich territories of Parthia for the glory of the empire Caesar went out to fight stinking Gauls.

But you know what? The way he commanded his men and brought them victories build a bond between him and his legions that was outmatched throughout history. His legions would follow him to the ends of the world.
  4. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    No one deserves that title.
    LampRevolt likes this.
  5. Chairmanyang Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I wouldn't say he was the greatest but I would definitely put him on my top 5 list if I made one. Quite a brilliant tactician who would stop at nothing to get what he wanted.
  6. Marx'sGeneral Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Grenada, Mississippi; The festering rathole of Ame
    There is no greatest historical figure of all time, in my opinion. And if there was, Caesar wouldn't get my vote. Ghengis Khan was much more bad ass
    Jericho235 likes this.
  7. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    Caesar destroyed the republic, and Genghis Khan was a mass murderer.
  8. dylan522p New Member

Message Count:
    compared to hitler there both weak sauce he was a true mass murderer
  9. JosefVStalin El Presidente

Message Count:
    Well GK's army did kill like 60 million people.
  10. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    Idk about those numbers, but saying that something isn't as bad because someone else has done worse is just silly.
  11. Byzantium's Revenge Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Caesar was certainly the most arrogant man in history, and although he achieved much I would say the greatest historical figure was Jesus of Nazareth.

Now before you all start calling me a religious nut hear me through. This was a man who had few possessions and never held a position of authority and yet he has arguably influenced more people than anyone else in the world. There have been a lot of bad things done in his name, but it's hard to argue the impact he has had on history.
  12. Achtung Kommunisten! Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Birmingham, United Kingdom, European Union
    Caesar probably is overrated, but as he established the Empire over the Republic (or at least partly), i'd say he's worth looking up to. Maybe that's why he's overrated, 'cos too many people like him.
  13. JayJayGT Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Indeed, the Republic at that time was exteremely corrupt & it would've crumbled eventually - Caesar was just there at the right time to become Emperor (not that I am discounting the fact he was a total badass) and when they assassinated Caesar to save the Republic, it's effect was the opposite of what they wanted.
    In my view Alexander the Great was the greatest in history - but that's my opinion, I mean, being on the frontline was what Alexander was all about.
  14. Whraven New Member

Message Count:
    I don't think that we can actually name the greatest historical figure. Because "great" is such a weak term. There were figures that influenced millions only by charisma, there were those that conquered whole countries with wise strategic moves or just surrounding themselves with other great people. Some famous historical figures stay in our minds just because of the cultural influence. Some did such atrocious things that will be always remembered with fear.

As for me I would also vote for figures such as Jesus and other religious figures. If some of them really existed, that's actually an amasing feat: to become a god (or a relative of god) (at least in the eyes of other people).

Also, I would like to say, that we can judge a greatness of such figures only a lot time later. It would be interesting to go forth in time in 2 or 3 thousand years and watch, whether people still remember Napoleon, Stalin or JFK. We know many things about relatively recent figures, but we can only remember a few things about Hundred Years War (between France and England). And even less about Roman empire (yeah, we do remember Caesar, but how many more emperors can you name?)
  15. SovietEmpireUSSR Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Great achievement when he crossed the Rubicon. I really like Julius Caesar, he was a badass!
  16. Kalalification Guest

He's one of my favorite historical people, but I don't think he was the greatest historical figure of all time. It's easy to romanticize his story because of how epic it actually is, and how easy it is to spot one of several archetypes that feature prominently along the way.
  17. Emperor Napoleon Mr. Multi

Message Count:
    Julius did do a alot but not engough to be the greatist historical figure of all time.
  18. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    i thought Pompey was a consul. Anyway Crassus in my opinion had no chance of becoming emperor through militaristic actions. I do however believe that Caesar is in the top 10 out of greatest historical figures of the ancient worldd and in the top 20 of all time
  19. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Constantine The Great
    Valentinian The Third
    Octavian Augustus
    Nero
    Trajan
    Hadrian
    Diocletian (think thts how u spell it)
    Romulus Augustus

There were tons more than I named, but the fact is we DO know a lot about the roman empire, most people in America probably no more about the roman empire than the history of our own country prior to the revolution and in the time between the end of the war of 1812 and the start of The Civil War
  20. Dudstraction! New Member

Message Count:
    In Random Order:
    Theodosius
    Caligula
    Claudius
    Domitian
    Titus
    Vitellius
    Vespasian
    Antonius Pius
    Commodus