1. matthewchris Guest

So, I just found out that Canada requires you by law to keep your gun locked up in a chest, thus limiting your ability to retrieve it quickly. I think that's serious bullshit. If you want to keep children in your home safe, you have to teach them the power of a gun and why it shouldn't be touched, rather than locking it up and leaving them curious. And we all know that curiosity about guns normally leads to disaster. I think this video sums it up nicely, and it's certainly the way I plan to raise my kids.

[yt:cz57hao1]BrorxilPMFo[/yt:cz57hao1]

So what are your guys thoughts on this?
  2. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:
    Why would you need your gun quickly when all you can do here is go hunting.
  3. matthewchris Guest

Home defense. And, keeping your gun locked put your child/younger sibling at risk. Plus, the government shouldn't be able to tell me where I have to keep my gun.
  4. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:
    Home defense against what the last time I checked people aren't getting shot and killed in their homes.
  5. matthewchris Guest

Really? Because people apprehend criminals all the time in their home with a personal gun. You also totally ignored the other big point - it puts the children in your home at risk.
  6. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    What if you get fucking attacked by someone who is armed?
    "I wish I could protect myself, but I'm busy unlocking my government sanctioned chest."
    It doesn't prevent anyone from hurting someone with a gun, as the attacker has all the time in the world. It just prevents the victim from protecting himself. It's one of the most idiotic fucking things I've ever heard.
  7. matthewchris Guest

Agreed. The criminals isn't going to just chill in the time it takes to get your gun out. I keep my personal weapon strapped to the side of my bed, and if it was anywhere else, I wouldn't feel near as safe.
  8. Toast Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The police force are restricted to the point of only half of them being trained to use one, even less of them carrying them normally. There are hardly any active gun owners in the country (whom have licenses) to equal that. As a result there's much less deaths, I wouldn't have it any other way. They really aren't needed for self defense here, I'd rather kill burglars with a meat cleaver or corkscrew.
  9. Big J Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yeah, but it's Canada. I'm going to assume you need to worry about personal protection A LOT less than you would down here in the good ol' US of A.
  10. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:
    No it doesn't when someone enters your house it's usually theft not to murder your children so maybe you can try something called a phone which can call police and maybe a diffrent weapon like a baseball bat, golf club, knife, or katana sword.
  11. matthewchris Guest

Personally, I think that is ridiculous. As long as a criminal can get a gun, I want one too. I am not about to let the government tell me that I can't defend myself in the privacy of my own home.

Yes it does. I wasn't talking about criminals. Keeping a gun locked in a case and not teaching children to be comfortable around it and it's power makes makes them curious. And curiousity leads to gun deaths. Also, I would much rather put a bullet in a criminal knowing that I can hit him right in the knee cap and instantly disable him than go at him with my driver.
  12. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    So, when you're dead, you can be comforted by the fact that there is statistically less gun crime in your country.
  13. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    And what if it isn't? Usually isn't every case, if there is an armed person in your home who has a gun, a bat or calling the cops may not be enough. You could be dead before they get there. Legal gun owners aren't the only people who can get guns. You should be able to protect yourself in your own home.
  14. Toast Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The criminals aren't inclined to use firearms unless it's the case of robbing a bank, we certainly haven't witnessed any burglars armed with assault rifles in local news. Fair enough, they can still get one, but that'd only lead them on to take a lot more penalties if they were to be apprehended. You can defend yourself in your own home, you just need to be creative about it, like keeping a cooking utensil near your bedside.
  15. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:
    Guns should be left to the police and military and also the only reason they would want to murder you is if you somehow managed to piss the guy off if you did why the hell haven't you called police about it already or have left the area.
  16. matthewchris Guest

As exciting as the idea of taking out a robber with a blowgun is, I still think I would rather have a gun. But at this point, I guess it's all just personal preference to what you would feel safer with.

Huh? Dude, thieves break into houses all the time with guns, and I better be able to quickly fire back. I actually know a friend who has had to shoot a thief who fired at him in his own home. What was he supposed to do? Fiddle with his chest while he calls the cops?
  17. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    That's not the only reason, there are a lot of bad and sick people out there who will kill you for little to no reason.
  18. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:
    Well around here and especially in the city where there is a home invasion they don't have guns they call police and I never heard of one death resulting form a home invasion where they stay calm and call police.
  19. Toast Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    This isn't entirely true. Unless they aim to create a shock as a result of the killing, or you're attempting to resist, or it's a personal grudge I doubt they would want to take your life. It'll end up only incurring larger repercussions and I think the criminals or "bad and sick people" would keep this in mind. The only other reason I can imagine is that they have some sort of mental health problem.
  20. matthewchris Guest

You must not watch the news enough then. Besides, it's better to put a cap in their knee than let a criminal get away anyway.