Finding the Core of the Issue

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Bart, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    People have been complaining a lot about various issues lately, and I would genuinely like to solve these issues. But first, we need to get down to the core of the issues, because we can't solve anything as long as we don't know the exact source of the problems. I have made an estimation of the main issues we need to look into, and this is what came out:

- Restrictions on insulting behavior, both for mods and users,
    This is probably the main issue users are discussing in the PA lately. People keep complaining about the behavior of certain people, and even though I think it might be a bit exaggerated, I agree there could and should be more restrictions. This will be my main objective.

- Clearer lines on the rights and duties of members,
    I'm not sure what we should put in this point, but its open for discussion. Go ahead and give me some input.

- Cleaning up and organizing the forums,
    Not a major point, but it's up there, and we should look into it. For example: the Russian Section should be moved to a darker corner of the forums, and there are more issues like that we should look into.

- Increasing interactivity on the forums,
    This one doesn't have a very high priority for me, but I am hugely in favor of increasing the interactivity. We could revive the YouTube page, which I have spoken (a little bit) about with some people, but it didn't really get of the ground. We should make a plan.

This is what I think are the main issues for the people on the forums, but of course: I can't look into their minds, so I don't know exactly what they think. Please help me make this plan, by giving me your input, and tell me what you think is/are the main issue(s) playing right now. I will keep updating this list, trying to make it as objective a possible, and when I have a good list the purpose of the thread will move from getting down to the source to solving the source.

Note: this thread is meant for me to get your input, and not for off-topic posts or the 54847598th discussion on whether or not to ban Kali or whether or not to get Che/Napoleon back on the forums.

I decided to play for mod, and as long as the mods don't tell me to quit, I will use my Tribune powers to make this thread sticky. Also...
    I will delete all off-topic posts!
    slydessertfox and Unillogical like this.
  2. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    Mediation of users is a affront to free speech and I will not support it, if people can not take the criticism for there action then they should not say anything in the fist place.
    Are you suggesting a code of conduct? or just adding in new user groups?
    Not necessary, threads should be left where they are.
    Refer to my Donation plan and thats not a bad idea.
    There is my position and we are taking suggestions.
  3. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    I am only observing and asking what the main issues are for the people, I didn't suggest any mediation will take place. We need to get down to the core of the issues before trying to find any solutions.

I'm not suggesting anything, I'm just asking what the main problems are right now.

It's not a big issue, and it's not a big mess, but I'd be happy to do some cleaning up over here, really. Especially in the PA.

That's an example, yes.

What do you mean?
  4. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    I am agreeing with you other then my objections.:rolleyes:
  5. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Yeah, but this is not planning. I'm just trying to find the problems people have.

So, what do you think the main issues are that need to be solved?
  6. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    Election reform, everything else is up to the people.
  7. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    For the love of God, people! I'm trying to find the main categories of the problems! Not the eventual ways to solve a tiny little problem!

The next comment on this issue will be removed.
  8. Kalalification Guest

I'm going to move the discussion regarding defamation vs. personal insults to a separate topic in the PA.

EDIT: Thread created.
  9. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Thanks.

To clear this up: people will be allowed to state that insulting behavior is an issue, but others will not be allowed to comment on that statement, no matter how constructive.
  10. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    I think one of the biggest issues right now is getting the elections straightened out.
  11. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    and a code of conduct, but the truth the core of the issue is too many butt hurt people.
    sirdust likes this.
  12. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    It's being dealt right now. We'll go over the plan one more time, but it's very likely to pass.

Not everyone, not every member nor every mod, agrees with the Code of Conduct, thus I will still look for a way, but it's not very likely to pass.
  13. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The core of the issue is that the forum is inherently going to have problems simply because of the inefficiency of the its government. It would be like if the President only responded when a third of the country is demanding reform and the Congress passed 3 or 4 actions a year. Half of which didn't even matter.

Not to mention we're juggling the two extremes of Member's Power and a strong, authoritarian style. It would be like choosing Both between Communist and Capitalist.
  14. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    From your comment I can clearly read you have never seen the Mod's Corner and don't have a real idea of the situation right now. We are now discussing various reforms, we just don't feel the need to share every action with others just to show we are doing things.
  15. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    Not very likely to pass? I disagree since Stalin himself has been coming up with one since before the code of conduct suggestion. I'm very certain he intends to implement it and that would go above the mods or the PA.
  16. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Oh? That certainly changes stuff. I'll look into it.
  17. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    It's your own damn fault then for not having transparency.
    Furthermore, it's odd that as soon as we are allowed to see a thread from the Mod's Corner, it instantly becomes deserted. Real useful.
  18. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    The rules threads? They're deserted because we can't post there (due to setting the permissions so regular members couldn't post there, we can't either and we can't fix it). So it just turned into an archive. I don't see how that's not useful though, you still see our positions on everything rule related, you just have to wait until the thread is done. You wouldn't be able to post in it anyways even if we were doing it there.
  19. Unillogical Ex-Admin

Message Count:
    why did no one remind me about that, I was meant to look into it! Tomorrow for sure!
  20. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    No. It's your own damn fault for being so impatient. Just because you can't see it you start assuming things? Well, that's your fault, and I can't and won't try to do anything about it.

Again, we don't feel the need to share every single thing with the community.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.