Europa Universalis III: Steppe Wolf Mod

Discussion in 'Request Videos' started by Aleem Tariq, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Aleem Tariq Member

Message Count:
    Steppe Wolf is an amazing mod, it basically extends the timeline from 11AD - 2010AD,
    it would be really cool for Stalin to play as Byzantium during the Byzantine-Arab Wars and try to fend off the invaders, or play as Rome during its downfall ( 300AD-476AD).

More Information Here:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?545796-The-Steppe-Wolf-(AirotciV)

You can download the mod on the above link, yet it only works for Divine Wind v 5.1
  2. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    From what I can tell, it's ridiculously buggy and filled with strange shit going on all the time. Such a shame, because it really has potential, but I saw screenshots of Texas and Quebec being in Russia and those kind of shenanigans.

If he's going to do an EU3 mod, I'd recommend Death and Taxes.
  3. Mikhail Kutuzov New Member

Message Count:
    I agree with UnitRico. If any mod, then Death & Taxes. However I would want to see a let's play of another mod called Occultis Orbis Terrestre, where you can play as mythical countries like Atlantis, the lost continent of Mu and Lemuria.
  4. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Wait, wasn't that the D&T minimod?

Also, MiscMods is another good mod. I did an LP of that one, but since then it's been improved a lot.
  5. Mikhail Kutuzov New Member

Message Count:
    It is based on D&T.
  6. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The problem is that Stalin is a shitface so he decides to conquer literally everything possible. He has no idea of pacing to keep it interesting and will probably end up taking over the entire world in such a mod that goes on for 2k years.
  7. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well duh.

I do think Steppe Wolf really isn't designed for full length games, though. Tech levels will be incredibly wacky, countries pop up everywhere, and even on the hardest difficulties, the player will end up conquering the world anyway.
  8. Honor Harrington fan Member

Message Count:
    Isn't that the point of a game where you control a country? To take over the world right? I remember playing Civ 3 as a kid, and I'd always some way or another take over the world by two means: Economic means or Military means.
  9. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Depends on the game. In TW, you end up doing that anyway, just like in Civ III. In grand strategy games, this is generally impossible, or at the least incredibly hard. With a giant timeline like Steppe Wolf has, you can easily conquer the world in the first 1000 years even without trying too hard.
  10. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Excuse me for the double post, but I felt it was relevant to point out there's a new, and apparently much more stable version of the mod out for the new 5.2 beta patch. As I'm mainly playing D&T, which is still for 5.1 and won't be updated to the new patch until it's officially released, I won't be trying it out myself (it's probably also incredibly laggy for me), so I can't judge it just yet.
  11. Cashy New Member

Message Count:
    You are referring to screenshots of not properly installed mod (I know the picture). There is no shits as Quebec or Canada in Russia. I'm absolutely sure as I'm playing Steppe mod since the first version. The most problems are missing localizations sometimes and the AI which sometimes is extremely powerful.

[IMG]
  12. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    I played this mod back when it was Eastern Tales.
  13. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I did see those screenshots myself, although I did forget the likely possibility of an installation error, or some missing localisation or something. Maybe the guy who took it forgot to clear the map cache.

Anyway, have you tried the newest version? It looked to be much more stable and perfected than the last one, although I'm still expecting to run into performance problems, as I already have them with Death and Taxes (in the later stages in the game), let alone this mod, that has massive amounts of provinces.
  14. Onyxja Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    It's ambitious... Too ambitious.
    It's unstable as fuck not feature complete.
    Weirdness and bugs are everywhere you could never let's play this it would crash every other second.
  15. darthdj31 City States Map Director

Message Count:
    Yeah, a mod like this would require a lot of coding for an addtional 1600 years, plus accuracy checks.
    you would need rescources such as the original devolopers.
  16. Cashy New Member

Message Count:
    I'm playing the mod since "The Nomads" (version before 2 years for EU3:NA ). The first version of Steppe Wolf - AirotciV compared to the last one is probably 2 times slower and hundread times buggy.

My longest game with Steppe Wolf was with Roman Empire from 150 AD till 1480 AD. However I always play with fastgraphics mini-mod, so it greatly reduces the performance problems.

As far as I read the official information the mod is not tested, however friends of mine play the game as well (ok we all play with european countries) and while there are crashes "it would crash every other second: is too extreme statement in my opinion.
  17. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I do remember frequent crashes, but that's without the newer version...I forgot what it was called, something with "coin"...
  18. Cashy New Member

Message Count:
    Yes the nick name was The Coin, The Sabre and The Pigeon.
  19. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ah, yes, that's the one. I will probably get it once I get a new computer, as my computer now will have ridiculous amounts of lag.
  20. cap.communist456 Member

Message Count:
    i bought the game on steam and i really want to play this mod i tryed to install it but mest up and now i cant play the game at all so someone please help to make sure the mod is properly installed