Educational reform ideas

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by RonaldRaygun, May 26, 2011.

1. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    I am sure most of you are in favour of some kind of major reform in our archaic educational industrial complex(es).

I, for one, propose getting rid of teachers as they are obsolete, making use of modern technology and putting the best educational material possible online for free (well, subsidized) and paying students to learn.
    If the students think they are prepared they can pay a small fee to get evaluated and receive a plentiful reward if they succeed. Let's say $50k for graduating high-school, which is still a lot less than what we're spending currently on individual students.
    Presential courses would still be required for Med School and other fields where they would be a necessity.

Discuss:
  2. CheFlegel New Member

Message Count:
    Kill the student in every class with the lowest average grade. Now thats motivation.

Joking of course.
  3. Kalalification Guest

Maybe in direct tax spending, but what you leave out is that teachers, administrators, janitors, etc. all have a source of income solely because of the system. There's no doubt in my mind that that scenario produces a huge net loss in production.

People are stupid and lazy, generally, so I wouldn't trust them to self-educate. The current system has a lot of flaws but I'd prefer it to some anarchistic model.
  4. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    I see no reason to call it anarchistic, and wasting public money on jobs we could do without isn't reasonable just because it would be cruel to deprive them of a source of income (same reason most countries don't have mounted policemen anymore). Additionally, there will still be jobs in the sector of course, someone has to manage the educational material, evaluate the students, give online lectures, etc.
    Edit: I didn't say it wouldn't be mandatory. I got away without studying and doing homework throughout all high-school, I still graduated with pretty decent grades but I'm positive I and others in my situation would've tried a lot harder if there was a real monetary reward involved. Also, I do self educate and I love it.

I doubt you would honestly rather keep things the way they are and pay out your ass to go to college. Surely you must support some kind of reform.
  5. CheFlegel New Member

Message Count:
    Free education AND university in the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea? Sign me up.
  6. Kalalification Guest

In comparison to what you suggested I would much rather stick with the status quo. As well I didn't think you were speaking to higher education (since you focused on the public sector). The current educational model at universities works very well, the US still has the best tertiary and quaternary education in the world, but I would like to see a bigger crackdown on for-profit ventures.
  7. joske Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Maybe you could make a better link between the courses children have to take at schools and practical knowledge they will actually use.
  8. Demondaze Xenos Scum

Message Count:
    [yt:2eiw2tht]RFRT9JKGPcI[/yt:2eiw2tht]
    [yt:2eiw2tht]p-BgFPFb5fU[/yt:2eiw2tht]
    Lots of food for thought.
  9. PineappleJoe Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well it's free here in Norway to sow... pluss we got snow.
  10. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    What is wrong with the education system? Here in Britain it is not so bad, other than there being a copious amount of twats to put up with, not that they give me much bother. Teachers are generally good, if varies what school you go tou at the end of day.
  11. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    It costs taxpayers way too much and it makes minimal use of modern technology?

Seriously, why pay thousands of teachers when you can pay only the best to create the best didactic material and distribute it for free on the electronic medium.
  12. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:
    If your lucky and get selected to go to school and learn what they want you to.
  13. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:
    Let me just inform you of how this won't work through personally experience. My school received a government grant that allowed it to give every student a Macbook. 95% of the time students are either playing games, on Twitter/Facebook, or watching movies. People are lazy. The system is fine. And do you know how fast that 50k will be blown.
  14. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    That's kind of a dumb waste of money... first because they're MacBooks (cheap laptops with free linux sounds better) and second because it was poorly implemented. What the hell were they supposed to do with the laptops anyway?
    If we go by personal experience I self educate and it's working out nicely, I don't have to commute two hours a day like I used to either.

Everything is not just fine, even if you disagree with my idea there must be something you'd like to change...
  15. glodraz Well-Known Member

Message Count:
  16. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    It's related alright. And it's cool, I also think Stanford puts a lot of good stuff on their youtube channel
  17. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    And what about all those jobs lost from kicking out the teachers? Our unemployment rte is ad as it is and u want to do this to it. I assure u wed never make it out of tht
  18. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    Big whoop, I don't see anyone crying to get rid of assembly lines.

And for the love of everything that's nice and fluffy, use spell checking man.
  19. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    So u dont care if our unemployment rate skyrockets to 18%? That is the biggest problem we face right now dont make it worse
  20. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    They can get other jobs.

Employment just for the sake of employment doesn't help your economy either way. If you think it does and you can get me a job in the public sector where I just sit around and babysit a bunch of morons and mooch off your tax dollars I'll gladly accept.