Diplomacy: The Game of International Intrigue.

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Unillogical, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Unillogical Ex-Admin

Message Count:
    This Post is WIP.

Welcome to Diplomacy, this is a game for 7 players which I'm hoping to set up (if it's successful we can have larger games in future).

The game is a board game, although it is perfectly easy to play on this forum due to it's nature. It also fits in with the forums theme nicely. Here is the map:

Standard-S1901M.png

a map with clearer named territories can be found here for reference

On the map there are 7 nations, each to be player controlled which are:
    1. Britain (Dark Blue)
    2. France (Light Blue)
    3. Germany (Dark Grey)
    4. Italy (Green)
    5. Austria (Red)
    6. Russia (White/Light Grey)
    7. Turkey/Ottomans (Yellow)
    The Light Pink Countries/Territories Such as Syria, Armenia are neutral territories. Switzerland and unnamed territories cannot be moved into.

Players:
    1. fucking faggot
    2. C_G
    3. Karakoran
    4. TheKoreanPoet
    5. TheTeremaster
    6. PineappleJoe
    7. De3dtrap
    The Rules

The rules are reasonably simple to understand, but the game itself is hard to master. There's several rules however, but don't be daunted it really isn't all that difficult.

The Aim

The aim of the game is to control 18 supply centres. (Territories with the circles). The first player to control 18 at the end of a fall turn is the winner.

The Turns

Turns are played simultaneously. Each player submits their orders to a person who then applies them, the results are calculated and then the next turn is made. The game is split into 'SPRING' & 'FALL' phases which run as follows:

Spring
    • Orders Phase
    • Retreat Phase
    Fall
    • Orders Phase
    • Retreat Phase
    • Build Phase
    In-between all this you can negotiate with the other players in the game, you can ally, promise to support battles etc. (we will look at this in more detail later) all talk can be as private or public as you wish and you are not bound by anything you say. This will become more relevant.

Units
    There are two types of units:
    • Armies - These units can move to any adjacent land province. e.g. Army Constantinople => Bulgaria.
    • Fleets - These units can move to an adjacent Sea or Coastal Land Province. So a Fleet in the Norwegian Sea may move to: Norway, The North Atlantic, Edinburgh, North Sea, Clyde or the Barents Sea.
    Phases
    Orders Phase
    This is the phase in which you give orders to your units, each unit can have one order per turn. There are four orders you can give:
    • Move Order - Instructs a unit to move from one Territory into an Adjacent Territory
    • Support Order - Instructs a unit to support an Army either moving into a territory or in order to hold its place in its own territory. To support an army you must be able to otherwise move into the territory you are supporting.
    • Hold Order - The Unit Will Hold it's place in its territory, will make no attempt to move or support any other unit.
    • Convoy Order - Only Applicable to Fleets, Allows a ship unit to convoy an army unit from one land province to another land province (note: the fleet must be adjacent to both provinces) series of fleets can be added together to convoy a single unit over vast stretches of water.
    Calculating Success or Failure
    Each Unit, whether it be a fleet or an army has an attack unit of 1. In order to move into a province the unit which you have set to move must have an attack rating greater than any other unit also attempting to enter said province, or currently holding or supporting within a province.

Move Order - A move order is successful if the attack power of the unit moving into the province is greater than that of any units either holding in the province or also moving into the province, if the attack power is the same then the units "bounce" and return to their original positions. In order to increase attack power you must be "supported". Any state can support any other states attacks and therefore, you will often require diplomacy to make your attacks successful.

Support Order - A support order comes in two forms:
    • Support Hold - Supports a unit to hold it's position, this succeed regardless of the move made by the supported unit, for example the supported unit could decide to move into another territory however, "bounce" therefore, staying in place and it would still be supported. Similarly units supporting other units may also themselves be supported.
    • Support Move - This allows you to support a move from one territory to another, whilst you only need to be adjacent to the territory being moved into you must be specific about the unit you are supporting e.g. if you support a unit from Trieste to Budapest however, the opposing player (or yourself) instead choose to move from Vienna the support will fail.
    Support orders add +1 attack power to the unit you are supporting. It fails if the support is "cut"; the support is cut if a unit attacks the supporting nation, regardless of the outcome.

You may also support convoyed units, even across vast seas, the only requirement is you could potentially move into the territory being supported.

Hold Order - A hold order is successful provided that the unit is not displaced by an attack force of great attack power. Displaced units must either retreat into a neighbouring territory (except the territory they were attacked from) or disband. In the likely event that two retreating armies attempt to move into the same territory, they will bounce and therefore, disband.

Convoy Order - A convoy unlike a support order is not cut if a fleet is attacked, the convoy is only stopped if a fleet is displaced. If a convoy fails the unit being convoyed returns to it's original territory.

Retreat Phase

The retreat phase is where any displaced units must either retreat to a neighbouring territory (excluding the territory that displaced them) or disband (be destroyed) if there are no units displaced or all units displaced have no choice but to disband this phase is skipped.

Build Phase

In the game you may have as many units as you have supply centres. At the end of the fall phase you may choose to build as many units as you wish up to the total number of supply points you have. You must specify whether you would like to build a fleet or an army and where. Units may only be built in your home centres (the ones you start the game with) if you lose all your home centres you will be unable to create any new units, similarly since only one unit can occupy any one territory, if you have a unit in your territory you will be unable to build there. Building units is optional (though it is rare you would choose not to)

If at the end of the fall turn you have more units than you do supply centres you MUST destroy as many as it takes to get you level on supply points. You may not choose to destroy more than that amount.

Gaining Territories

Territories are gained by having units within them at the end of the fall retreat phase. Therefore a unit that passes through Spain in the spring to reach Portugal in the fall will only capture Portugal.

To win the game you must own 18 territories with a Supply Centre, therefore, victory conditions are only met in the fall.

Special Territories

Three Territories have two coasts (North and South). They are: Spain, St. Petersburg & Bulgaria. When dealing with these territories fleets must specify which coast they are moving to. Similarly, if you are support a fleet you must specify to which coast you are supporting it to.

Fleets may not move from one coast to another. The only way to get from the Black Sea to the Aegean Sea is through Constantinople.

If you are supporting a fleet to hold you do not need to specify the coast, similarly you do not need to be adjacent to the coast to support movement into it, rather just the territory itself e.g. a fleet in Livonia may support a fleet into St. Petersburg North Coast.

TL;DR

So the aim of the game is to work together with other players to strengthen yourself to the point where you can afford to stab those players who helped you in the back to become the most powerful nation on the board. You can promise the world and give nothing, though remember, stabbing someone in the back will cause them to turn on you, so make sure you can deal with the situation.

Please Post Questions Below, and Declare interest in what is my all time favourite board game!

LEARN TO PLAY IN 11 MINUTES (VIDEOS)

Another good video

Watch more videos by that guy, for more advanced concepts, the game is like Chess, knowing how the pieces move is one thing, knowing how to play is another.
  2. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yeah. I would be interested in joining in. Not sure how successful I will be though.
  3. Unillogical Ex-Admin

Message Count:
    That's cool, I'm going to finish this post and then see who wants in!
  4. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I would also like to play.
  5. TheKoreanPoet Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I want to play too!
  6. Unillogical Ex-Admin

Message Count:
    Added!

Also Added!
  7. theteremaster Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    the deepest depths of the Australian netherworld
    i will happily play
  8. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I would like to play as Russia. Also, is it possible for Fleet St. Petersburg to start on the North Coast?

Edit: I just want to throw something in I learned in the comments that wasn't mentioned in the videos. Do not back stab until you absolutely have too. Otherwise people will gang up on you and you'll be toast in 3 years tops.
  9. PineappleJoe Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    sure I'll join
  10. Unillogical Ex-Admin

Message Count:
    Added

Added

Watch some more of the latter guys videos if you like, I was watching them and they're good. Teams are random.
  11. TheKoreanPoet Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I want to be Turkey for this game.
  12. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Sadly, teams are random. Which sucks because I fear for my life if I get Austria-Hungary.
  13. Unillogical Ex-Admin

Message Count:
    We're just waiting on one more person, which is good.
  14. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    I take it
  15. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ok then, so how do we get our nations?
  16. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    I call UK
  17. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
  18. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    Snif snif
  19. Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I would like to play as Spain. I dont know if the limit has been met since all the big countries have been taken.
  20. TheKoreanPoet Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Spain is not a playable country in this game. Plus, the game is already in session.