Actually Good Healthcare Reform

Discussion in 'The Political/Current Events Coffee House' started by 1Historygenius, Mar 29, 2012.

1. 1Historygenius Member

Message Count:
    A friend sent me this plan to reform healthcare in a message on YT (If you do not know what "YT" means it stands for Youtube.

1. Make all health plans, including savings accounts, fully taxed deductible, so as to end the tax preference for employer driven health insurance.

2. A strong litigation reform to reduce defensive medicine.

3. FDA reform that brings market reforms to the FDA to make drug approval process quicker and cheaper to those who medically need it.

4. Fight hospital mergers and consolidations by enforcing anti-trust laws and trying to stop state and local laws that inadvertently promote these mergers.

5. Allow people to buy insurance over state lines to increase competition.

6. Loosen license laws and requirements to stop artificial restriction of the supply of physicians by the state and AMA.

7. Allow small businesses and groups to pool together to buy health insurance.

These are all "market based" and "conservative" ideas that I think liberals can accept. Do you find this to be at least moderate or bipartisan?
  2. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    Most of these are plausible (I disagree with deincentivizing employer based coverage), however nothing here combats the number one problem with the american health insurance system. It costs too much for the average american to buy himself health insurance, let alone if he has a family to pay for...
    slydessertfox and Chelsea366 like this.
  3. 1Historygenius Member

Message Count:
    Wouldn't you say that increasing competition would make insurance companies want to lower costs in orders to gain more in the new competitive market?
  4. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    Not really. You're just getting to choose between a few mega providers as there are considerable barriers to entry to newer, startup firms, rendering it an oligarchical scenario (in economics terms) as opposed to perfect competition. As a way of analogy, does the ability of an airline to choose between, say boeing and airbus for new airlines drive prices upwards or downwards? Maybe down a little bit, but not to such an extent that it's really significant. A lot of states give you the choice between a few providers, but it's not like every state has it's own company, and that by opening it up the restrictions you're not going to have all of a sudden 50 different companies competing against each other. There's still a handful of dominant companies that are more likely to form some sort of cartel then compete against each other and lower prices
    slydessertfox and Chelsea366 like this.
  5. 1Historygenius Member

Message Count:
    You are aware that monopolies are illegal in the states?
  6. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Or you could just use a Single Payer system and not have to worry about all that bullshit.
  7. 1Historygenius Member

Message Count:
    Isn't Medicare in the United States a single payer system?
  8. Redbullk1d NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Well you could have and equivelant to the NHS but with out the thousands of government targets.
  9. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yes, but Medicare isn't large enough. I'm saying something like the NHS is what we need.
  10. Lenin Cat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    How about this:
    1. Transfer ownership of all hospital, clinics, etc to the doctors, nurses and other staff.
    2. Transfer ownership of all health insurance plans to there clients and workers in 50/50 ownership. Medicare, Medicaid, HMO plans, etc included.
    3. Require all business to pay for there workers premiums as well as a distributed number of retiree's, disabled, unemployed, etc. based on profits. If low on profits, government shall assist as much as possible.
  11. 1Historygenius Member

Message Count:
    Transfer them to what? Other planets?

Also distribute what to the retiree's etc?
  12. Lenin Cat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    transfer ownership to the workers, what don't you understand?

distribute a percent of there premiums among corporations.
  13. 1Historygenius Member

Message Count:
    I did not understand what you meant by transfer because I do not know what you meant by transfer because in your first post you did not explain what should be transferred. That seems like communism which is bad.
  14. PopePnwer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Lenin Cat with communism in his posts? Who would have thought?
    slydessertfox and Warburg like this.
  15. Lenin Cat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I clearly said "transfer ownership"

Communism is much more then workers ownership, its a stateless classless society based on common ownership. It is also far from bad. It also has no money, so this would all make no sense.
  16. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    *Waves red flag* in honor of Lenin cat and his health care reforms.
  17. 1Historygenius Member

Message Count:
    Yeah, but ownership to what? Sesame Street?

OK well then I am guessing your plan is Anarchist which would be worse.
  18. Demondaze Xenos Scum

Message Count:
    He was talking about shit like money and issuance coverage. Not vary Anarchist at all.
  19. Lenin Cat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yah, and you took forever to realize im a anarchist and from the definition of communism you figured that out? Wat? I am speaking in context, ideally I should be able to walk into a hospital and ask for a shitload of tests, and unless the community starts hating me, get it.

I clearly said to the doctors, read.
  20. Warburg Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I've always been in favour of universal health care, because I find it despicable to not treat a person because they don't have an insurance or the money to buy the treatment. This is a basic human right for me.
    However, I really don't see the point in paying(as a society) for a person's treatment if that person keeps doing the things that made him/her ill and seems determined to kill himself/herself. An example of this would be a smoker who continues to smoke after his first treatment/operation/whatever. If he doesn't stop smoking , he would have to pay a part of the treatment the next time.(say 20%) This part would get bigger and bigger for each treatment until he had to pay everything himself. If the person shows willingness to fight his/her addiction the state would provide support for them to enter some sort of rehab if they wanted to.

Edit: If the condition for the person is life-threatening, the hospital would of course have to treat the person, even though he didn't stop smoking.(example)
    slydessertfox and SPQR like this.